Tuesday, December 14, 2004

ATI Students Seek Royalties
OAK BROOK, Illinois - Inspired by recent litigation, thousands of ATI students are joining a class action lawsuit against the Advanced Training Institute to recover unpaid royalties from Knoxville student choir performances.

Until recently, ATI conducted annual conferences at Knoxville for members of the popular home education group. The highlight of the week was a performance by the 5,000-strong student choir, composed entirely of navy-and-white-clad 12 to 25 year olds. Students sweatily rehearsed throughout the week and sang several renditions for parents in the audience. Performances were made available for purchase, and several recorded songs were included in later-compiled ATI audio tapes.

The lawsuit alleges that "said defendant did tape various performances of said student choir both by audio and video recording, and did also sell the performances, thereby making a significant profit." Students were never reimbursed for their time and effort in the recording process.

Matt Radimer, a former choir member, is representing the ATI students in the lawsuit. "It's fine to have kids sing in a choir," he said, "but if you're going to make money off it, they have to be paid."

Radimer rejected suggestions that students have already profited by developing character qualities during the experience. "I'm sure it will be worth it all when we see Christ, but for now ATI can just show us the money," he said.

Knoxville student attendees were excited to learn of the lawsuit. "I remember a choir director who yelled at us all the time," said one. "I'm also suing for emotional damages and pain and suffering."

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

And did that choir director happen to be about 70 yrs old and have silver hair? That's the same guy that stole my breakfast at the OTC about 4 years ago! The audacity. Never did like him much after that. And you're right - he does yell. VERY irritating singing in that blasted choir. I refused the last year that I went. Or I sang and didn't go to the rehearsals - I forget, thank goodness.

9:10 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love Don Scovill! But I don't think anyone ref. to him here. I think he was from a long time ago. ... I would sing for Don Scovill anytime without pay. .... Well, anyhow, why don't we also sue for the OTHER labor that never got paid?! heh heh heh!

6:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Would it count as extra damage if you're one of the girls who all those years sang "Looloolooloolooloo"?

6:39 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The last time I went to Knoxville I told my mom that I "wasn't singing in that stupid choir and I hated that choir director." She said "You don't hate him and please have a good attitude, but I'm glad, now we can leave early!" That is my best Knoxville memory ever.

3:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is a great story. I went in the early 90's and that director was horrible. The thing about that whole thing was it made me wonder "if it will be worth it all." Thanks for the site. Kevin - Houston, TX

8:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

X-ATI Guy

about

recently

archives

approved books

approved music

exits

censored words

credits

contact