Friday, July 01, 2005

The universal principle of spiritual damage
Contrary to the first basic principle of design, we are not entirely unique. True, my gifts and talents are different from yours, your personality is different from his, and his reactions are different from hers. But in one area we're all alike: everybody, but everybody, has suffered spiritual damage.

Those of us leaving the ATI system find healing by (ATI buzzwords here) identifying and rejecting wrong ideas. What we forget, in our zeal to throw off shackles and reach for God, is that if ATI weren't in the picture, we'd still be throwing off shackles. If our parents hadn't found ATI, we'd have come out of church with wrong ideas about God. If not from the church, then society. If not from society, then from our own fallen minds. Spiritual damage is not the exclusive merchandise of IBLP/ATI. It's simply the human condition.

Some of us did indeed incur damage from the Institute. Others found that the teachings covered over and festered existing wounds. Hold Bill Gothard and IBLP responsible for the teachings and attitudes that clouded your view of God. But focus foremost on our real enemies: Satan and sin.

These twin enemies wreak devastation in every soul, regardless of system or religion or personal experience. We Xers don't wear a badge because we were hurt and are now speaking out against it. Our badge is our testimony to Christ's power, as He took our sin-battered souls and lifted us up to Him. That message is what makes us unique. Use it with power.
~Mairzy

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank God for His matchless grace in the midst of our humanness

5:44 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Actually, I think you have every right to criticize, if that's what you've seen. Obviously you've been hurt a great deal by "church" and people. As my pastor says, "We've all sinned, but we've all been sinned against." It sounds to me like you're screaming in pain and don't know where to go for healing, that you need to hear that sometimes it isn't your fault, and that God is not a great, cosmic, mythic enemy.

It may sound like shit to you, but I testify to the truth in my life: Christ has healed me, and is standing with mercy in His hands for whoever will bring a bleeding, battered soul to Him.

-- Mairzy

7:58 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'd have to disagree with you when you say " if ATI weren't in the picture, we'd still be throwing off shackles. If our parents hadn't found ATI, we'd have come out of church with wrong ideas about God." In my mind, coming out of anywhere with wrong ideas about God is always partially our fault for not finding Him - and finding Him as he truely his. If we seek Him we WILL find him - church, ATI or whatever.

10:18 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree..I think that "the Institute" has taught many valuable things but that people have applied it incorrectly. Too much believing in Bill and not enough searching out the Bible for themselves. Too much judging others for violations of the seven basic principles and not enough looking at themselves and their own families. I am a girl (and a police officer, God forbid) and an ex-ATI student. Lay off the old legalistic thinking about long hair, longer skirts, and short courtships. It's okay to do what God personally says to you, and if that means cutting your hair, wearing pants to work everyday, and MINISTERING TO REAL PEOPLE every day in every way that you know how, by all means, JUST DO IT! (Oh wait, I really didn't mean to use the words of the that carnal, worldly company that supports physical health and defrauding clothing...)

5:22 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've been reading through the blog and I must say that all the posters certainly have alot more experience with ATIA and IBLC than I do.
As a youth I attended the IBYC Basic Seminar several times and it changed my life for the better (though it did take three tries to get it to stick.) Our pastor had attended the original Basic Seminar years before and was a stout Gothardite. My dad attended Advanced Seminar, Men's Seminar. We still have our original notebooks and many of the avanced books (Pineapple Story anyone?)
I recall Bill, Himself, stating from the podium that no one has a corner on the Truth, including himself. The ATI tendency toward Pharisaical legalism is common among many conservative denominations and congregations. I've spent the last hour reading about how the ATI system has traumatized so many of you, and I can believe it. I saw everything you're talking about in the materials, and more. When we were looking for home-schooling material for our children, we rejected ATI for the very reasons that have been outlined here.
BUT there is [some] truth to be mined within their teachings.
I've used some of the over-the-top booklets to start spiritual "conversations" (actually, heated debates) with both Christians and non-. The Character Clues game was pivotal in teaching my kids Godly character and virtuous living. And the "yielding of personal rights" system of anger management has served me extremely well.
I guess what I'm trying to say is that nobody's perfect. Bill G. is a sinner, too (though he may feel a need to deny it in public.) Truth is truth, whoever presents it. I want to encourage you to continue to use your discernment (The God-given ability to understand why things happen) through God's Spirit to find it and especially to apply it to your life.

2:04 PM  
Anonymous Bentley Hale said...

Thank you for writinng this

4:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

X-ATI Guy

about

recently

archives

approved books

approved music

exits

censored words

credits

contact