Tuesday, October 16, 2007

If debt is wrong...
...then why is Bill Gothard loaning money?

Perhaps I should back up. Some time ago X-ATI Guy signed up for Bill Gothard's Daily Success email. I did this for two reasons. One, you can never have too much success. Two, I figured I'd read the dang things so you don't have to -- whenever there's something worthwhile I can pass it along. (Please note: I'm on Day 57 and it's the first time I've mentioned it.)

So I'm reading recently and Bill says this:

As I wrote this e-mail, God gave me a clear application for this command. A specific individual has been asking me to give him a certain amount of money, yet I have resisted for two reasons. First, he had previously affirmed that there was no debt. Secondly, I was aware of strong reaction that would come from another individual if I gave the money.

As I was pondering this, the phone rang. It was the individual whom I knew would react. We discussed the matter, and we agreed that it would be God’s will to give the money. I have a sense of excitement, because on the one hand it will mean significant personal sacrifice, and on the other hand, it will provide an opportunity for God to show His power.


Huh. And all these years I thought debt was a sin.

11 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Actually, I believe Mr. Gothard did not say that debt was a sin, but a consequence. Just to clarify.

8:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Debt is a consequence of sin; just like beards and blue jeans. And how can this be a "personal sacrifice" on Bill's part? He doesn't need money because the institute pays for everything.

4:41 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hm. Clarification, though. Is Mr. Gothard going to give him the money, or loan him the money? Or is this more of that ATI doublespeak we all recognize/I mean discern?

4:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It sounds like the guy was so persistent that Bill broke down and gave him some cash. I think I will start my own campaign to Get Cash From Bill.

3:01 PM  
Blogger bethany said...

Gothard makes a sacrifice? You've gotta be kidding me. After he's sucked millions of dollars out of people just desperate enough to pay him for selling a fake, angry god who "places" arrogant jerks like him in "authority" over us weaker brothers and sisters.

I just don't buy it. Gothard owes in incredibly debt to this world for his crimes against faith. And I'm not just being dramatic. I'm not the only one I knew who grew up abused because Gothard said our parents' authority was the same as God's - it almost destroyed my faith until I reazed that God died to save me from the oppression of people like Gothard and the people like my biological parents that he indoctrinated.

11:44 PM  
Blogger Derby said...

Scripture: loan without expecting return. Sounds like Gothard was obeying God.

10:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's been quite a while since Gothard obeyed God.

4:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I believe that Bill Gothard was giving the money freely... not loaning!

6:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It sounded to me like Gothard intended to give the money, not loan it. But that's irrelevant, because as the Institute's 990 reveals, IBLP made more than $20,000 in interest in 2005. You don't earn interest without loaning money to someone.

7:42 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That interest is probably from CD's which are purchased and do not constitute loans.

10:11 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Isn't purchasing a CD a form of investing? Don't those who invest in the marketplace have an "evil eye"?

3:17 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

X-ATI Guy

about

recently

archives

approved books

approved music

exits

censored words

credits

contact