Wednesday, October 20, 2004

Ask Bill
An ATI mother recently wrote to Mr. Gothard for counsel. X-ATI Guy obtained a copy of this letter.

Dear Mr. Gothard,

I appreciate your ministry and respect your wisdom, which is why I'm writing for your counsel in a decision I must make. You teach in the Basic Seminar about the Principle of Design and how we must accept the 10 unchangeables God has given us. Do you think it is wrong to change one's appearance when the condition is easily altered?

Here is my situation: my hair, which is normally black, has started going gray. Is it wrong to dye it?

I would like to dye it to mask the gray. I think it is important to maintain a consistent appearance in front of my children, who may not understand that their mother is susceptible to the natural aging process.

However, I do not want to violate the Principle of Design, because I know God's blessing on our lives is a result of how well we honor his word and obey his non-optional principles.

I would appreciate your counsel: is it God's will for a person to dye her hair?

Sincerely,

Cynthia, ATI mom in Orlando, Fla.

P.S. Perhaps you could publish my question and your answer in the next ATI newsletter!

We look forward to Mr. Gothard's response.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

good question. on the one hand, he says that we must accept the unchangeables. however, he also says that there are things that can be changed if they would detract from our message / testimony. For example, using an orthodontist or having the shape of the face altered OR cosmetic surgery may be "wise" IF it will cause people to not be *distracted* by certain things while listening to yr testimony. ... it is hard to know, though, when to do it or when not to. (according to HIS viewpoint, I mean, or hers - has nothing to do with my personal views on it)

8:44 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hmmm.... From what I know, he really *shouldn't* have a problem with it--doesn't he dye his own hair?

10:14 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

An eleven-year old girl whose family is heavily involved in ATI assured me one night that Mr. Gothard does not dye his hair. I laughed, but she adamantly insisted that Mr. Bill does not dye his hair. I asked her how she knew that, and she responded, "He told everyone that he doesn't dye his hair." Where he provided that info for everyone I don't know, nor was I interested in finding out.

11:09 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, of COURSE she should dye her hair! At least, if she is being "fruitful and multiplying." We wouldn't want anyone to think a 15-passenger van full of kids could possibly be causing her to go grey!

8:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hmm... Let's think about this one. 70 year old man, jet black hair. Of course he dyes it! An interesting line of thought though. How many other guys that old dye their hair black? Come to think of it, are there any? What's wrong with looking old?

7:36 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Let's just say in Mr. Gothard's special suite at Indy, there is an entire hair dye kit in the closet.
It's amazing what you find out when you are "busy" cleaning with your LIT, rather than discipling them.

11:28 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

X-ATI Guy

about

recently

archives

approved books

approved music

exits

censored words

credits

contact