Saturday, January 29, 2005

Dear Miss Modesty...

DEAR MISS MODESTY, I'm a young ATI lady who has dressed modestly all my life. (1 Pet.3: 3-4) None of my blouses reveal my collarbone, all of my skirts have kick pleats, I own no colored stockings, and I've never worn red fingernail polish. I know this is the way to be a virtuous woman (Prov.31:10), so please don't think I'm asking if I can wear jeans or sleeveless shirts or other things that the sensual girls (Isaiah 3:16-23) in my church wear.

But I do have a fashion question. Recently I've been wanting to try something new. I'm tired of looking exactly like all the other Godly girls in my church. Even when we dress casually, we all show up in straight denim skirts and polo shirts, all in colors in our exact "season" so they highlight our countenances (Genesis 12:7). It is a great witness, but it's a little monotonous.

My question is, can I experiment with other fashions within the bounds of modesty?

Sincerely, Trying to Live Circumspectly (Eph. 5:15)

DEAR TRYING, Our culture today delights in tearing down traditions and scorning those who do not go along with their "progress." For this reason, they will reap condemnation (Deut. 27:17). I discern that you are being influenced by this worldly philosophy. The very idea of "experimenting" has its roots in the drug culture of the '60s, when rebellious sons and daughters defiled themselves with drugs and immoral activities which promised the man escape from the "monotony" of a disciplined life.

God's Word clearly indicates that we are not to follow in the footsteps of the rebellious (Ps. 1).Therefore, I would caution you against "experimenting" with other fashions. Even if they are "within the bounds of modesty," it would be difficult for you to find another style which emphasizes virtue as much as that worn by Godly ATI girls of today.

Why should you attempt to alter what your authorities have approved? This desire possibly indicates double-mindedness (Jas. 1:6-8). I encourage you to go to your authorities and find out if God really is leading you in this direction (Prov. 3:5-6). May you continue to live a life of virtue and victory!

Sincerely, Miss Modesty

-Submitted by Mairzy

10 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

*gasp* i cant believe she would even THINK about trying something new! im absolutely horrified.

12:44 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

STRAIGHT skirts are more ungodly than other kinds of skirts! :) I learned that at a Training Ctr.!

7:06 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hilarious!

10:27 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What about clogs?

7:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

the one girl who wore clogs, as i recall, at a particular training center, was a girl who was considered to be borderline-ungodly, and suspect. (i do not know if it was against the rules to wear clogs or not) i remember she was somewhat of a workaholic, and someone commented disapprovingly "Work can be an *escape*!" --instead of commending her for her good work ethic!

9:28 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This "modesty" thing is the one that gets me... the hypocricy in this area always cracks me up.
I always wondered WHY it is immodest and even heard said "ungodly" to wear shoes that show your toes. YET... it is completely approved at DTC because of... the weather?!?! (the same with denim) If toes are going to cause a guy to stumble in Taiwan or during a CI... won't they cause a guy to stumble in Dallas as well?

6:46 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

if toes are going to cause a guy to stumble - he needs some SERIOUS help

4:41 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

open-toed sandals are allowed at the DTC because

NOBODY CARES!!!!!!!!

~A DTC Staff Member.

8:44 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think this is crazy. Toes causing a guy to stumble? Come on!

2:53 PM  
Blogger Searching said...

Miss Modesty,

I am a new christian and am seeking. Can you please explain your reasoning for your modest dress with scripture refrences. I am really intrested in a more conservative life style including ATI for my two children, but I want to make sure where I am going has scriptural relevence. I would really appreciate any info you can provide.

11:38 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

X-ATI Guy

about

recently

archives

approved books

approved music

exits

censored words

credits

contact