Monday, November 08, 2004

Gothard Denounces Marriage
Speaking to a group of ATI students at a counseling seminar, Bill Gothard lamented the loss of dedicated young people who had formerly served with his organization.

"The Number 1 threat to a young person's service for God is marriage," he said. "When young people succumb to the desire for personal gratification and get married, they lose their effectiveness for the kingdom of God."

Indicating that the desire for marriage is essentially a selfish, anti-Christ motivation, Gothard pointed out scores of young people who had selflessly served IBLP only to disappear into a black hole after getting married. "Rather than focusing on how they can please the Lord, these young people only think about gainful employment, buying houses, and obtaining material goods," said Gothard.

Gothard admitted that marriage is important, but is best left to those who are already married. "I suppose if all people followed in the footsteps of Jesus, the apostle Paul, and myself, it could extinguish the human race, but you can't argue with I Cor. 7--those who are single should remain single."

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bill is right, I feel so bad. I mean look what I gave up just to get married. Now that I am having a kid myself, how should I train her? Maybe I should get divorced so I don't set a bad example for her.

4:38 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I happen to come across this comment and I totally disagree with that having to divorce your wife. As a husband, you ought to take care of your family and not have the slightest idea of getting a divorce.
The reason of Paul encouraging the christians to remained single was because during those time, there was a certain crisis in their life and it is better for them not to get married.
Of course I do agreed that one should dedicate their life to God. Marriage is a gift from God and we do not slack in God's service when we have received that gift. The sad part is often many will dift themselves away due to family commitment. However, there are also those who continued to serve God faithfully even after their marriage.
Therefore, for those who are married should remain faithful to their family and continue to serve God. And to those that are still single, if it is God's calling for you to be single, then remain single and serve Him.

5:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello, the first comment was sarcastic, as is the whole site. Don't take it so seriously.

8:11 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sadly, too close to true. Before my hubby and I got married, I was told that by marrying him (which included not having the blessing of my folks) I would destroy the possibility of he or I being used by God in ministry...not to mention get him fired from the ministry's job he was working...

Too sad, too sad.

6:17 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah, i mean, Mr. G. sounds as weird as Paul. Paul lamented the fact that people had to get married. :-)
Having learned to take Mr. G with a grain of salt, I tend to laugh when i hear these statements...oh, if Mr. G had only gotten married..(walking off shaking head)

10:27 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mr. G is beginning to sound like Saint Jerome; when Jerome was old and crabby and living in a cave.

5:47 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Did y'all know that dear ol' Mr. G. has a correspondence file labeled "matrimony"? It's letters from women who feel "called" to serve God (or Mr. G.) as Mr. G's helpmate.

At least, he did in 1988. I was supposed to be filing stuff and was obviously not reading anything, but when I asked the secretary to decipher Mr. G's scribble at the top of a letter so I'd know where to file it, she said "matrimony" and said that some ladies write to Mr. G. and he just files the letters and doesn't respond.

Imagine, withstanding =all= that temptation! (And what kind of woman feels "called" to "know" Mr. G. in the biblical sense???)

7:54 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

If marriage is so bad, I wonder where we all came from? And if you have to give up serving God when you get married, what the heck were our parents doing?

11:22 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

X-ATI Guy

about

recently

archives

approved books

approved music

exits

censored words

credits

contact