Monday, November 01, 2004

Staffers Risk Exposure to Rock Music
Three ATI staff members--Eric, Matthew, and Jared--were on the road recently and decided to get a bite to eat. As they entered a local Applebee's, they were assaulted by the evil strains of rock music. The three stepped out immediately and huddled for a quick conference. "We were very hungry and this was the only restaurant available," said Eric.

After some discussion, Matthew re-entered the restaurant and asked the hostess to turn down the music. She refused, saying company policy prohibited her from adjusting the music on the basis of customer discomfort.

"We probably should have left right then," said Matthew, "but the turkey croissant looked delicious."

The young men continued talking over the problem until Jared pulled out his New Testament. "I just read this in my morning Wisdom Search," he said. "'Greater is he that is in you than he that is in the world.' Perhaps God is stronger than the rock music there in Applebee's!"

The three young men agreed to enter the restaurant while crying out for God's protection. After a brief prayer session, they went in, asked for a table, and sat down to eat.

"It was very difficult," said Eric. "We weren't prepared for the level of spiritual warfare. Every song was a new battle." Matthew fought floods of impure thoughts toward their waitress, while Jared was weighed down with depression. Each time they heard some especially evil lyrics, they encouraged each other with spoken blessings.

Back in their car after eating, the three young men prayed through the Stronghold Diagram, asking God to reclaim any ground that may have been surrendered to Satan through their exposure to rock music.

Talking about the experience later, the three were shaken. Jared made a commitment not to patronize restaurants with rock music. Matthew went straight to Bill Gothard's office and confessed the experience. Eric publicly asked the IBLP staff to forgive him for his poor example.

"I hope the Spirit of God is able to overcome our exposure to this music," he said.

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ohh this is a hoot... quite amusing. As X always says, there is a little bit of truth in every post. I can remember one ocasion when a couple co-slaves and I were actually let out of Indy to go to a computer auction. We were quite starved and found a nice Italian Pizza place to rest our hungrty butts. The minute we walked in, we heard the devil's music. Both the guys I was with thought for a couple seconds and decided as a majority to leave since it was too risky for their souls. I think we drove around to a couple places until we found one serene enough to eat at. Man, I don't know what would of happened if we had stayed, I'm sure our car would have flipped on the way back to the TC or our guts would have rotted out : )

1:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dude, I was one of those co-slaves. That had to be the same experience, because no one ever went to those stupid computer auctions after we left. I remember going in to "check out the music" and then talking about it outside to decide if we should stay or not. Wow, what a memory.

What is worse than all of that is that my wife's FAMILY used to do that!

Oh well, I still tell my friends that I am SO glad I rejected rock music of any form as evil for so long, because now I enjoy rock music WAY more than I think I would have otherwise. Seriously.

8:47 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ahh what fun times... Remember spending all night upgrading that Gateway Pentium Pro? I remember spending all night on Jason Spink's AOL account trying to download Warez...

8:50 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mr V, how DARE you mention my name here :-)
That was kinda fun though.. Burning our souls by stretching a network (coax :-) cable across 8th floor hall to play Doom against each other:-)

1:21 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This brings memories - When I was in Indy my roommate didn't like my Dragonheart soundtrack (which had about two drum beats in the entire cd). She was going to report me so I sent the CD home.

8:59 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I remember listening to the Majesty and Glory tapes in Indy - I think maybe summer of 1996 in the reign of Mr. Maddox and Mr. McWha. I think Gerguni and Co. followed shortly after. Anyway, getting ready to go on outreach with Troy Robinson and the Barringer Brothers while listening to that....ah, the memories....

2:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

wow,...brother and friend to other anony mouse inc. brother where art thou. denver is it. i cant believe you would play doom at the sacred indy hotel. wow. you rebel gothardite you. call me soon, you know my number... i used to drive gothard around...you all cant even imagine the stuff i have heard.
Signing out from holland ny:)

3:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

X-ATI Guy

about

recently

archives

approved books

approved music

exits

censored words

credits

contact